A few words on tires.....

 I've been in the business of cars for over 17 years. Countless times I hear comments such as "I have all-wheel drive, so I can drive in snow" or "My car is rear-wheel drive so I need to get a car I can drive in the winter".
And every time my answer is the same - GET DEDICATED WINTER TIRES!!! Some examples:


 "TIRES ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS"
A rear wheel drive car equipped with winter tires will perform better than you can imagine in snow.
An all-wheel drive car equipped with all-season tires gives you only 50% of the traction potential available in snow and leave you wanting more the other half of the year.
And a front-wheel drive ride? Snow tires will definitely help you November to April, but obviously the joy of driving will escape you during the summer months based on your choice of drivetrains, but that's a subject for another time.
I know, the next question is - "Now you mean to tell me I need to buy another set of tires? Isn't that going to be expensive?"
Here's the logic: If you have dedicated tires for winter and summer, you effectively double the life span of your tires, as your only using them half the time. Sure there's the cost of mounting and balancing every year, but isn't that a small price to pay for awesome traction the whole year? Consider an extra set, mounted and balanced, ideally in a smaller width, for the winter. Over time that solution actually pays for itself as well!!!
Questions about what sizes are compatible when you go down in width (or diameter)? Check out this tire size calculator that I have been using for years -



Modern Winter Driving Techniques DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment